Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Also, more car chases.


Snipped from Nature

You've mentioned that your most intentionally predictive writing was "Prometheus Unbound, At Last." What was that? 
[KSR] This was a short story I wrote on an invitation from the editors of Nature magazine, when they were doing a series that filled the last page of every issue for a year or two, called "Nature Futures" or something like that. There was a word limit of 800 words or so, which as a novelist I found fairly daunting, and I solved the problem of doing something interesting in that word-length by writing a "reader's report" on a fictional science fiction novel that told the story of the 21st century going well, by way of a particular kind of "scientific revolution." It can still be found online, and I would offer it as a brief bit of sport that is a kind of skeleton key to the futures in many of my stories, one way or another.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...